Now I know the problem, and my users, but what is currently out there and what can I learn from them?
‘Showaround is all about the activities that happen when you’re not lounging around your hotel room, and they can start from the moment you arrive at your destination. From pick-up to departure, a Showaround local can be at your side – it’s like having a knowledgeable friend in every city you visit.’
I decided to try out their system, so I signed up to be a tour guide…
- I had to fill in some basic information, some entries were a list that I had to choose from, e.g. Activities.
- There is a review system which I liked, more from a user point of view than from a guides point of view – what happens if people hate me?
- You set the price, and they take a portion of your fee.
- Messages are sent via text or Facebook messenger.
- The landing page was very visual
- A lot of guides seem to have poor ratings
- I’m not sure how I feel on the fact a user selects their guide based on the guides profile picture, which is nearly always their face. Should it not be more important to see ratings and location rather than what they look like – it’s not a dating site!
- There is a ‘My Trips’ feature, that allows you to say when you’ll be in a place and what time you want to take a tour.
- Guides and locals can offer you discounts for that time – I like that feature, you get something extra than just a tour.
- One thing that really stands out about Showaround is how safe it is, there was no security for either guides or users. Under 16s could meet up with someone older without supervision. How do you prevent anti-social behaviour?
I wanted to have a look at the mobile version as well, as I think it’s important that it’s available on multiple platforms. I like the concept of Showaround, but it just doesn’t feel safe, having no reassurance that people won’t lie, or take your money and not give you a tour. That’s a major factor, as I want our tours to be as accessible to everyone, no matter what the age or ability. You need to feel safe and build the trust with the users.